Saturday, March 9, 2013

Interview Questions

Prepare for the Interview


The interview is the time to make an impression and most candidates do this by preparing their answers to potential questions. My tip is to turn it around by playing offense.

When it comes to the point in the interview with the hiring manager where you are asked if you have any questions, have a few of these questions ready. 

 

What would be my typical day and who would I be working most closely with?

This question is multi purposed.
  1. The question is designed to have the interviewer visualize you in the position as part of the team.
  2.  It gives you a good glimpse into what your work day would be and allows you to judge if this position is what you are looking for.

Who are the 'stars' on the team that I would learn the most from and what would be the best traits to pick up?

  1. This question is also designed to have the interviewer visualize you as part of the team.
  2. Demonstrates that you are committed to learning and self improvement by learning from the team's best people.
  3. Gain  

What are some of the current challenges the team is facing that I may be able to help resolve?

  1. How the interviewer responds will give you a good indication if they are seriously considering you or not. If the interviewer gives you a few items that you can contribute on, its a good sign.
Continual development is critical for people in IT and something that is important to me. How do you feel I could best improve?

  1. Even if you do not get the position, you gain some valuable information that can help you prepare for the next interview.
  2. The question emphasises your commitment to your career. If you are not learning, you are falling behind the curve.
  3. This questions landed me one of my early IT positions. The director interviewing me at the time was noticeable surprised and he gave me one of the most important pieces of advice I have received. He thought for a minute and then told me;
 "Keep your mouth shut and your ears open"
 
Sound advice in such a concise response.
  • As IT, we have access to very confidential information and there is no room for someone who leaks info.
  • Listen to not only what is being said but also between the lines, you can deduce what people are challenged or concerned with most. Resolve a problem before the users ask IT for help and suddenly you are perceived as being innovative and a true asset.
  • Listen to what you IT colleagues have to say. There are many ways to approach a project or problem and bright ideas can come from anyone. Collaboration also is what makes the strongest teams.
The director may have been trying to tell me I simply talk too much, but I like my interpretation better. To this day, we do remain friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment